Where has this been all my life. I have had pasta and pesto together loads of times as it’s a great store cupboard dinner when your tired after work and can’t really be bothered to cook. I checked the other ingredients that needed using up and in the fridge I had a lonesome egg that was going out of date. Initially I would go to my usual choice which would be an omelette but I only have one egg which wouldn’t work. If the egg was fresh I would pop a poached or a semi boiled egg on top of the pasta but again no good for this lonesome egg as the egg needs to be really fresh otherwise the runny yolk and fluffy white doesn’t quite cut it. So the only option I had left for the pasta is a hard boiled egg, this is a bit boring I thought and would probably be really dry, then the lightbulb moment hits me, why don’t you grate the egg into the pasta! Oh yes genius this is my new go to egg on the cusp usage!
- Pasta, cooked to packet instructions
- 2 tbsp pesto, I used our wild garlic (recipe here)
- 4 roasted jarred artichoke quarters, drained
- 1 egg
- 3 tbsp breadcrumbs mixed with 1tsp Parmesan or salt and olive oil
- 1 tsp fresh cracked fresh black pepper
- Add the pasta, pesto and artichokes to a bowl, toss to combine.
- Cook the egg by adding it to a saucepan of cold water, over a medium high heat set the timer for 10 minutes and leave it until the timer stops. Set aside to cool.
- Toast the breadcrumbs for a couple of minutes or until golden
- Finish off by peeling the egg and grate it into the pasta, add the pepper and fold through to combine. Finish off with a sprinkling of the breadcrumbs. Enjoy 😊