Woo hoo sweet tomatoes have arrived. I was inspired by the dish when my hubby came home after being with a client at an Italian bistro. As the first question I ask him (before did you have a good day) is what did you have for lunch or dinner, he has got use to it now and answers before I even ask. He mentioned how his client ordered tomato carpaccio as i side dish and it was delicious. I thought I have to try and replicate this, while in the farm shop they had some gorgeous heirloom tomatoes and I knew this was my chance. It is very simple but the tomatoes really sing. The important part is making sure you add a light sprinkle of salt over them as it draws out their beautiful sweetness, I also think a good quality balsamic vinegar and olive oil is important as it really makes the tomatoes shine. It’s also a great dish as a side or at a BBQ.
- 3 large tomatoes, I used heirloom
- 1 tsp fine sea salt
- 1 tsp mixed dried herbs, I used Italian
- 1 block of feta cheese
- 1 tbsp good quality balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp good quality extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp cress as a garnish, optional
- Slice the tomatoes about 1/2 cm wide.
- Place on a plate, add the salt and herbs and lightly rub so the salt sinks in
- Leave for 10 minutes so they release their yummy juices.
- To finish, crumble over the feta. Pour over the olive oil and balsamic. Finish with a sprinkling over cress if using. Serve with bread so you can mop up the yummy juices. Enjoy 😊