This recipe is amazing. I’ve made my own corned beef before but this is much better not to sound weird but you can taste the beef so much better as it doesn’t cook in the spices it is only brined in them so they are a delicate background flavour. it seems a long recipe but it is quite easy really as it sits in the brine and you then just boil it.
- 1kg rolled beef brisket
- 3 bay leaves
- I tbsp fennel seeds
- 1 tbsp coriander seeds
- 1 tbsp peppercorns, I used mixed
- 1 tbsp ground ginger
- I tbsp ground mixed spice
- 350g fine sea salt
- 3 litres water
- 2 tbsp pink curing salt (Prague #1) I got mine on Amazon
- Add all of the ingredients to a lidded deep saucepan. Bring to the boil give it a good stir and leave to cool.
- Once cooled add the beef and make sure it’s fully submerged, you might need to add a plate or weight to the beef so it sinks. Add the lid and leave to cure in a dark cool place for 7 days.
- After 7 days remove the beef and give it a good rinse, I put mine in a sink filled with cold water and changed it 3 times.
- Tip away the brine mixture or keep it for next time. Give the pan a rinse. Add the beef and cover with water. Bring to a slight boil then turn the heat down as low as it goes. I simmered mine for 3 hours if yours is larger it may need a bit longer. Let it rest and enjoy 😊