Skate is one of my favourite fishes, it is under used and such a delicate meaty fish. I prefer the smaller wings. We had this on our 5:2 diet night. It is simple but really tasty and suprisingly filling. Fennel, lemon and fish go so well together.
Ingredients (serves 2)
- 2 skate wings
- 2 fennel bulbs, finely sliced
- 400ml chicken or fish stock
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ lemon, thinly sliced
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Pre heat oven to 200 degrees (fan).
- Heat the olive oil over a medium heat. Add fennel slices and sauté for 5-8 minutes, stirring frequently, until softened but not browned. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Transfer to a oven dish in a single layer and pour the stock over the slices.
- Season skate wings with salt and freshly ground black pepper and place the wings on the bed of fennel. Place 3 thin lemon slices on each fillet and roast the fish for 25-30 minutes depending on its size.
- Serve by adding the fennel between 2 serving dishes, top with the skate and spoon over the sauce. Enjoy.
Recipe adapted from artdefete