This salad is so summery as courgettes and tomatoes are bang in season at the moment. I really like the flavour of Za’tar it is a middle eastern blend of spices including sumac, sesame seeds, oregano, thyme, marjoram and salt. It and herbs to adds a really nice flavour to meat and vegetables and you don’t need to use much. To keep this salad under 200 calories I used the tomato juice as a dressing.
Ingredients (serves 2)
Za’atar Grilled Courgettes
- 2 courgettes, sliced to 1/2cm, top and ends removed
- 2 tsp za’atar
- 2 tsp olive oil
For the Salad
- 10 cherry vine tomato’s, halved
- pinch of za’atar
- pinch of sea salt
- 1/2 pack feta cheese
- small bag of salad leaves
- 2 tbsp basil leaves, roughly chopped
- Add the tomatoes, basil, salt and za’atar to a bowl and mix, set aside so the tomatoes release their juices.
- Pre heat grill to a high heat. Place the sliced courgettes into a bowl add the za’atar and oil and mix with your hands to coat.
- Place the courgette’s on a griddle pan and grill for 5-6 minutes on each side.
- To assemble the salad, share the salad between 2 serving plates add the courgettes and tomatoes. Crumb over the feta and drizzle the tomato juices over, making sure you get all the basil bits.