Get ready for the week ahead with a nice healthy fibrous salad. I can’t rave about pickled carrots enough, they have lasted weeks and the flavour gets a little more spicy from the ginger and garlic the longer they pickle. I love lentils and the health benefits you get from them, but they do need flavour added to them. This salad is spicy and sour but not too much as the lentils earthiness keeps it well balanced and they take on the flavours from the dressing, chorizo and carrots. The sun dried tomatoes also add a much needed sweet tone, making every mouthful so enjoyable.
For the Salad
- Handful of rocket leaves
- 2 large sundried tomatoes, chopped
- 4 pickled carrots (recipe here)
- 70g Puy Lentils
- 3 cooking chorizo’s, sliced
For the Dressing
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 1/2 tbsp wholegrain mustard
- 1/2 tbsp of honey mustard (or just honey)
- 1/2 tbsp lemon juice (I used bottled)
- small pinch of salt
- Rinse the lentils well under cold water, place them in a pan and cover with cold water about an inch above the lentils, bring to the boil and simmer for 20 minutes.
- While the lentils are cooking, heat a small frying pan on a medium -low heat and dry fry the chorizo a minute on each side, set aside on kitchen roll to drain off any excess oil.
- Add all the dressing ingredients into a jar and shake well.
- Once lentils have cooked, drain and rinse again.
- To assemble the salad add a handful of rocket leaves to a bowl, add your lentils, sundried tomato, carrots and chorizo. Shake the dressing jar again and spoon over the salad.