I’m starting to come to the end of my frozen game meat. As the pigeon breasts are quite small they make a really good salad. As the pigeon has a slightly strong flavour it can take on some spice. The soft flesh works so well with the crispy lettuce and herbs. The hoisin dressing finishes it off nicely.
For the salad
- 4 pigeon breast
- 2 tsp five spice powder
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 tbsp oil, for frying
- 1 cos lettuce, sliced
- 1 tbsp each of fresh mint, coriander and basil, roughly chopped
- 1 avocado, stone and skin removed, sliced
- 1 tsp sesame seeds
For the dressing
- 3 tbsp hoisin sauce
- 1 tbsp light soy sauce
- 1 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- Juice of a lime
- Rub the five spice and salt over the pigeon breasts.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan, once hot add the pigeon breasts cook for 2 minutes on each side and then wrap them in foil to rest.
- While the pigeon is resting, put the lettuce, herbs, and avocado in a serving bowl.
- Make the dressing by adding all the ingredients into a jar and shake to combine. Pour the dressing over the salad and toss to coat the leaves.
- Slice the rested pigeon breasts put them in the salad and add a sprinkle of sesame seeds. 😊