As you can see from previous posts I absolutely love tempeh thanks to a little warung in Bali. You can marinade tempeh in any asian sauces as it just soaks up the flavours. It works perfectly with the fresh salad and pickled kimchi. I can have peanut sauce on anything this one is nice and light due to adding the water. I can’t wait to have this again!
Ingredients (serves 2)
For the Tempeh
- 200g tempeh, cut into strips
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 tbsp oyster sauce
- 2 tbsp light soy sauce
- 1 tbsp dark soy sauce
- Zest and juice of lime
For the Peanut Dressing
- 2 tbsp smooth peanut butter
- 1 tbsp light soy sauce
- 1/4 tsp ginger and garlic paste
- 1/2 tsp sweet chilli sauce
- 1 tsp kecap manis (optional)
- splash of rice wine vinegar (any white vinegar)
- 1 tbsp warm water
For the Salad
- Bag of salad leaves
- 1 tbsp fresh mint and chives, roughly chopped
- 1 avocado, stone removed and sliced
- 8 mushrooms, quartered and fried then mixed with 1tsp each of oyster sauce and light soy sauce
- 1 cup kimchi
- 1 tbsp white sesame seeds
- Start by marinating the tempeh for at least an hour preferably longer. Add all of the wet ingredients into a dish, give it a good whisk or stir so it’s fully combined. Add in the tempeh strips and give it a stir so each piece is covered.
- For the dressing, add all of the ingredients to a food processor and blitz until smooth. If it’s too thick just keep adding a splash of water at a time until you reach the consistency you like.
- Once the tempeh is ready to cook, either put in the air fryer at 190 degrees for 10 minutes or add some oil to a pan and fry for a few minutes on each side until crispy.
- Prepare the salad by adding the salad leaves and herbs in a bowl add a tbsp of the peanut dressing and any leftover marinade, toss to combine.
- Serve by sharing the dressed leaves between 2 bowls, add half the avocado, mushrooms and kimchi to each serving dish. Drizzle some more dressing over the salad and avocado. Add the tempeh and enjoy 😊