This is quite an old school recipe but I had it in Egypt of all places and I forgot how nice it was. I used cod in my recipe but any meaty fish will be fine. I put a spin on it by using parsley sauce, I made a batch as I had a bag of parsley to use up as I hate waste I also do this with bread going out of date I just blitz it into breadcrumbs put it in a bag and freeze it so I have a handful of breadcrumbs and a potinstantly This dish was so comforting simple and tasty.
- 2 cod fillets
- 500ml of fish stock (or veg)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp of black peppercorns
- 2 balls of frozen spinach, thawed
- 6 ripe cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 1 cup parsley sauce (or any white sauce)
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- Add the stock, bay leaf and peppercorns to a lidded pan that will be wide enough to fit the fish fillets. Bring to the boil then reduce heat to a low simmer.
- Add the cod fillets, put on the lid and gently simmer for 6 minutes.
- Meanwhile heat the grill. Squeeze as much liquid as you can out of the spinach spread out each ball in an oven dish so the fillets will sit nicely on top.
- Once fish is poached remove the skins and season. Place the fish on top of the spinach. Sprinkle over the chopped tomatoes. Spread the parsley sauce over the fillets and around the edges.
- In a bowl mix the breadcrumbs and cheese add some salt and pepper, taste and adjust if you need to.
- Sprinkle the breadcrumb and cheese mixture over the top and place under the grill. Keep checking and when the breadcrumbs are golden (mine took about 4 minutes) remove and serve. Enjoy 😊