I love Mexican bean salads, it’s a good way to use up spring onion tops and any herbs you have. I have tried to just grill corn on cob but it’s never tender enough so I use chef mic to tenderise them first. I recently watched a food myth programme and they tested steaming veg, boiling veg and microwaving veg and the microwave came out on top in retaining all its minerals and goodness. I’ll never feel bad about microwaving vegetables ever again.
For the salsa
- Tin of black beans, rinsed
- Vine of cherry tomatoes, quartered
- Green tops of a bunch of spring onions
- 1 yellow pepper de seeded and cut into small squares
- 1 bunch of coriander, chopped finely including stalks
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- Sea salt
For the corn
- 2 corn on the cob, husks removed and chopped in half
- 1 tbsp of butter
- 2 tbsp Parmesan cheese, finely grated
For the salad
- Small bag of salad leaves
- 2 slices of ham
- For the salsa, add all of the ingredients into a boil and give it a good stir to combine, leave to rest while you make the corn on the cob.
- Place the corn in a microwaveable dish with a tbsp of water, cook on high for 5 minutes. Once cooked drain off the water add a tbsp of butter and shake to coat.
- Pre het grill to high. Place the corn on a baking tray and grate over the Parmesan. Grill for about 3-5 minutes until the cheese is melted and the corn browns.
- To assemble, share the salad leaves between 2 bowls. Top with the salsa. Add the ham and griddled corn. Enjoy 😊