I find jacket potato a nice comforting weekday dinner, I also fancied a nice healthy comforting topping and this ticks all the boxes. Chicken, bacon and mushrooms is one of my favourite combos. it’s jazzed up with the sage and kale to add that final flourish.
Ingredients (serves 2)
- 1 packet of smoked pancetta or bacon lardons, (75g)
- 1 large banana shallot, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and finely chopped
- 3 portobello mushrooms, roughly chopped
- 10 sage leaves, chopped
- 1 large chicken breast, cut into chunks
- 2 tsp of flour
- 400ml of chicken stock
- 1 bunch of kale, ribs removed and roughly chopped
- 1 large cooked jacket potato (mine was 1 hr at 200 degrees)
- Knob of butter
- Sea salt and fresh black pepper
- Heat a medium saucepan over a moderate heat. Add the pancetta or bacon lardons and cook for a couple of minutes until crispy. Drain on some kitchen paper leaving the fat in the saucepan.
- Put the pan back on the heat, add the shallot and cook for a few minutes until they start to soften. Add the garlic and chopped mushrooms and cook for another few minutes. The mushroom moisture should stop anything from catching. Set aside on the kitchen paper along with the pancetta.
- Heat a drizzle of olive oil in the same pan. Add the chicken breast and fry for 5 minutes until cooked through, stir in the flour and cook out for a minute coating the chicken. Pour in the chicken stock and mix well until you have no lumps. Bring to the boil and reduce to a simmer. Add in the cooked mushrooms, pancetta and sage leaves. Simmer for 10 minutes so the sauce starts to thicken. Add the kale and place a lid on, let the kale wilt for 2 minutes. Taste and season.
- To serve, cut the cooked baked potato in half. Share between serving plates. Add a knob of butter and seasoning. Spoon over the chicken mixture. Enjoy.