What isn’t to like about sticky prawns and tofu smothered in hoisin sauce served alongside simple sweet carrots, beans and a fresh and vibrant herb salad all finished off with a zesty dressing. This is a simple but delicious Asian salad bowl.
Ingredients (serves 2)
For the salad bowl
- 1 baby gem or and salad, sliced
- Small bunch of chives, mint and coriander, roughly chopped
- 1 small chilli, seeds removed and finely chopped
- 2 tbsp of peanuts, Toasted in a pan or roasted for 10 mins in the oven
- 1 carrot, grated
- Any beans, sliced (I used runner beans)
For the dressing
- 2 tbsp of palm or brown sugar, dissolved in 2 tbsp hot water
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp rice or white wine vinegar
- Juice of 2 limes
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and minced
- 1 tbsp of sliced lemongrass, (I used jarred)
For the Tofu and Prawns
- 1/2 pack of tofu (12 cubes), I like the tofoo brand and their smoked tofu
- 10 frozen king prawns, defrosted
- Drizzle of groundnut oil
- 2 tbsp of hoisin sauce
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds, I used white and black
- make the salad by adding all the ingredients except the grated carrots and beans. Toss to mix and share between two bowls. Add the carrots and beans in their own pile in the bowls. Set aside.
- To make the dressing add all of the ingredients into a jar or bowl whisk or stir to combine. Tip over the salad or put into pots.
- Heat a drizzle of oil in a wok or frying pan. Add the tofu and stir fry for 3 minutes. Add in the prawns and cook for another 2 minutes. Lastly pour in the hoisin sauce and stir fry for 2 -3 minutes until the sauce has reduced. Sprinkle over the sesames seeds and stir fry again for about 30 secs.
- To serve, add the cooked tofu and prawns to the salad bowl. Enjoy 😊