I love these sort of recipes for during the week. I found it quite hard to fine a recipe without using cream to keep it low fat but I used a recipe from the body coach to guide me. The result is a comforting delicious dinner. I used what I had in the fridge which was spinach but I guess you could use any vegetable leaf.
Ingredients (serves 2)
- 250g gnocchi
- 150g spinach leaves
- 1 leek, finely chopped
- 2 banana shallots, peeled and finely chopped
- 6 brown mushrooms, sliced
- 1 skinless chicken breast, cut into chunks
- 300ml of chicken stock
- 1 slice of whole wheat bread
- 1 tbsp roughly chopped rosemary leaves
- Sea salt and fresh black pepper
- Olive oil
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees (fan). Heat a pan of water until boiling add the gnocchi and simmer. Once the gnocchi float to the top, remove and rinse under cold water. Set aside. In the same boiling water add the spinach and wilt for a minute. Drain and squeeze out as much liquid as you can. Roughly chop and set aside with gnocchi.
- Heat a good drizzle of olive oil in a saucepan over a medium heat. Add the leeks and shallots, cook for a few minutes or longer if needed to soften. If you think they might catch add a drop of water.
- Add the mushrooms and chicken pieces to the mixture and cook for another 5 minutes or until the mushroom juice has evaporated.
- Add the stock, gnocchi and spinach. Bring to the boil reduce to a low simmer for a couple of minutes. The gnocchi should thicken sauce. If it doesn’t mix a little bit of cornstarch with water and add. Season to taste. Pour the mixture into an oven proof dish.
- In a food processor add the bread, rosemary and a pinch of salt. Blitz until you have breadcrumbs. Add 1/2 a tbsp of olive oil and mix so the breadcrumbs are coated and will brown in the oven.
- Sprinkle the breadcrumbs over the top of the gnocchi mixture. Bake in the oven for 20-30 minutes or until golden on top and bubbling underneath. Serve and enjoy.