Fancy something different for New Year? This dish is perfect and will wow your family and friends as it is something a little bit different. When I took the photo we had strained the cranberries from the sauce but after trying one I put them back on the plate. We served ours with sautéed brussel sprouts, chestnuts and bacon (recipe here) and roasted baby parsnips which go in the same time as the duck. This was delicious with a yummy festive gravy, game roast and veg, I do love this time of year.
Ingredients (serves 2)
- 1 whole mallard
- salt and pepper
For the sauce
- 125ml red wine
- 20g butter
- 1 tsp cornflour
- 200ml chicken stock
- juice of 2 large oranges
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 50g fresh or defrosted cranberries
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees celsius fan. Season the mallard all over and roast for 35 minutes (this cooks through with a slight blush on the breast) If you like it mainly pink cook for 30 minutes if you like fully cooked through cook for 45 minutes.
- Once cooked transfer to a plate and cover with foil to rest.
- To make the sauce, Skim off any fat from the cooking juices and place roasting pan over a medium heat. Add the red wine and stir scraping off the brown crispy bits bring to the boil and boil for a couple of minutes to burn off the alcohol.
- Transfer the red wine to a saucepan and keep it over a medium heat
- Pour in the chicken stock and orange juice. Add a drop of water to the cornflour and stir to make a paste. Add the paste to the sauce and stir continuously until sauce has thickened. Add the cranberries bring to the boil and then simmer for a few minutes stirring so the cranberries release their flavour. Add the brown sugar and mix in well, strain the sauce through a sieve into a jug (keep the cranberries if you are going to serve them on the side) return the sauce to the pan add in the butter and stir until melted and sauce becomes glossy. Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary
- To serve, cut the rested duck in half and place on 2 warm plates. Pour over the sauce and serve with your favourite sides. Enjoy.