I have wanted to try this salad for ages and today I was in a position to do so with summer hanging on, just! I am glad I did as the strawberries really enhanced the halloumi sweetness. It is one of those salad’s where you need to get a bit of everything on each forkful as you need the saltiness from the halloumi, acid from the dressing, sweetness from the strawberry and a vital freshness and hit of flavour from the basil. I will be having this again next summer!
Ingredients (serves 1)
For the salad
- 1/2 bag of salad leaves
- 8 fresh strawberries, halved
- 4-5 medium slices of halloumi
- 12 small basil leaves
For the dressing
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- juice from half a lemon
- 1 tsp of blackberry vinegar or balsamic vinegar
- small pinch of salt and pepper
- Cook the halloumi for 2 minutes on each side in a dry pan, once browned set aside.
- Add the salad leaves to a bowl, top with the strawberries, the basil and leaves and the cooked halloumi.
- To make the dressing add all the dressing ingredients to a jar or bowl, whisk or shake and finish off by drizzling over the salad.