This is a great Meatless Monday Supper, particularly as it has been beautifully sunny in September so far. It’s not the prettiest dish but is simple, quick and tasty. You can add tomatoes and fresh herbs at the caper stage if you want more flavour. Skate is a lovely fish it is meaty and not an oily fishy flavour, it can take on flavours and is easy to eat as you just scrape the meat from the bones.
- 2 skate wings
- 2 -3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 knob’s of butter
- 1 tablespoon capers
- Pinch of Mixed Fresh or Dried Herbs (we used herbs de provence)
- 1 lemon
- splash white wine
- Pre Heat oven to 180C (fan), then take a baking tray and cover in oil.
- Place your skate in the tray and bake for 15 minutes, remove from the oven and cover with the butter, capers and herbs.
- Squeeze the lemon juice over and add a splash of wine.
- Return to the oven for a further 10 minutes.
- To check it is cooked through, take a knife and make sure the flesh pulls away from the centre bone.
- This dish is great served with new potatoes to soak up the sauce.