So my 2nd recipe for our picnic is this divine dip. This was so tasty and the flavour from the eggplant really added a smoky depth to the sweet cannellini beans. Everything is then uplifted from the herbs and lemon juice. If you fancy a change from hummus please give this dip a go. We spread it on my pitta breads but it would be great on anything to be honest even served with raw vegetables.
- 1 bag frozen chargrilled eggplant/aubergine (or 1 fresh, sliced)
- Olive oil, for drizzling, plus 80ml
- 1 tsp sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper, for seasoning
- 1 can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 handful of fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- Pre heat oven to 190 degrees (fan) drizzle an oven tray with olive oil and place in the oven for a few minutes to heat. Remove from oven add the aubergine slices and bake for 20-25 minutes turning the slices half way, once cooked set aside to cool.
- In a food processor add all of the ingredients including the cooled eggplant except for the remaining 80ml of olive oil and pulse.
- While the food processor is running slowly pour in the olive oil until you have the consistency you like, you may have to stop and use a spatula to push down the mixture stuck to the sides of the bowl. Serve or put in a box to take on your picnic.