I’m not keen on using white sugar as I prefer to use the brown unrefined raw cane sugars. This cake was really yummy and is very light. It also tastes like a famous Mr beginning with K’s farmhouse cake but of course with no preservatives and healthier better quality ingredients. Delicious with a nice cup of tea, very British!
Ingredients (makes a loaf)
- 225g self raising flour
- 110g cold butter, cubed
- 110g light muscovado sugar
- 225g sultana’s
- 1 egg
- 3-5 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon all spice
- Soak the Sultana’s with hot water and leave for 30 mins. Once plumped drain and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 160 degrees (fan).
- Rub the butter into the flour until it looks like fine breadcrumbs, add sugar, sultanas and mixed spice, stir to combine.
- Crack in the egg and add the milk a tbsp at a time until the mixture has a soft dropping consistency.
- Evenly spread the mixture into a loaf tin. Sprinkle demerara sugar over the top and pat down with the back of a spoon (this gives a nice crunchy top) and bake for approximately 1 1/2 – 2 hours (mine took 1hr 40 mins) until a skewer comes out clean.