For a fantastic quick, easy and healthy one pan dinner, try this stir fried beef. We love to use sirloin as our stir fry cut of beef and always tenderise in a sauce or cornflour before cooking for at least 20 minutes. The result is beautiful, succulent, juicy meat. The sauce is quite a popular well known recipe, I can understand why as it is delicious. We have tailored the original recipe by adding ginger, broccoli and spinach to meet our tastes and to make this a no carb one pot dinner. Yum!
For the sauce
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 3 tbsp honey
- 1½ tbsp oyster sauce
- 2 tbsp Chinese cooking wine or dry sherry (or substitute with chicken or beef stock)
- 2 tbsp water
- 2 tsp roughly crushed black pepper
For the stir fry
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- thumb size piece of ginger, peeled and finely chopped
- 1/2 head of broccoli, cut into florets
- good handful of spinach leaves
- Mix all of the sauce ingredients into a bowl and whisk together, add the steak leave to marinade and tenderise for at least 20 minutes.
- Add the chopped broccoli to a pan of boiling water and cook for 5 mins. Drain and set aside.
- Heat 1 tbsp of olive oil in a wok or frying pan on a high heat until slightly smoking.
- Add the beef (reserve the sauce in the bowl) and stir fry until brown on all sides, around 2 minutes. Remove from wok and transfer to a plate.
- Add the chopped garlic, ginger and shallots to the wok and stir fry for 1-2 minutes.
- Return the steak including any juices from the plate and the reserved sauce in the bowl and bring to the boil.
- Add the cooked broccoli and raw spinach and a splash of water if needed, simmer for around 4 minutes. Serve immediately.