Ingredients (serves 2)
- 1 Pheasant
- 3 Leeks, sliced
- 400ml Chicken Stock
- 400ml Cider
- 1 Pack of Pancetta Cubes (50g)
- 4 Sprigs of Thyme (handful from garden)
- 1 Large Sweet Potato, peeled and cut into chunks
- Salt and Pepper
- Drizzle of Olive Oil
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees (fan). Heat a drizzle of olive oil in a casserole dish over a med-high heat. Brown the pheasant for 2-3 mins on each side, once browned set aside on a plate.
- Add the leeks and pancetta to the casserole dish and cook on a reduced heat to soften for around 2 mins.
- Add the cider and turn up the heat to burn off the alcohol, letting it bubble for around 1 min.
- Return the pheasant to the dish, pour in the stock, season and add the thyme, bring back to the boil.
- Once boiling, add the casserole lid to the dish and cook in the oven for 40 minutes.
- After 15 mins into the cooking time in the oven, put the sweet potato in boiling water and simmer ready for mashing once ready to serve.
- Once the pheasant has cooked, remove the lid place the pheasant on a plate and with foil to rest and keep warm.
- Put the casserole dish back on a medium-high heat and reduce the sauce by 1/3. Once reduced either add 2 tsp of corn flour or a knob of butter to thicken into a gravy consistency.
- Drain the sweet potato add a small knob of butter and mash, serve the leek gravy with carved pheasant and sweet potato mash.