So Paulie and I have been pickling again this weekend. We have pickled some veg to spruce up our salad’s. Check out the cauliflower recipe too!
Ingredients (makes the 3 jars in picture)
- 6 bulbs of fennel, trimmed and sliced into very thin rings
- 3 medium orange’s ( or 1 per jar)
- 4 cups white wine vinegar (2 for large jar and 2 for the other jars)
- 4 tablespoons sea salt (2 for large jar and 2 for the other jars)
- 4 tablespoons sugar (2 for large jar and 2 for the other jars)
- jar of whole pieces star anise (again split between jars)
Sterilise your jar’s
Wash fennel, trim ends and slice into very thin rings. Zest long strips of peel from orange. We did 1 orange per jar.
Bring 1 1/2 cups water, 2 cups vinegar, 2 tbsp salt, and 2 tbsp sugar to a boil in a pot
Meanwhile, fill each jar halfway with fennel. Place half the orange rind and 2 pieces star anise on top of fennel. Fill jar with remaining fennel, using the back of a clean spoon to pack it down. Leave 3/4 inch of space beneath the rim.
Pour hot liquid over fennel leaving a small gap at top. Repeat for 2nd batch.
- Ready in 3-5 days