Sometimes simple is best! If you fancy having a go at pickling vegetables at home this is bar far the best I have tried so far. The fennel releases it’s beautiful aniseed flavour and the orange zest, star anise and pickling liquid really makes it stand out, I could probably eat a of bowl of pickled fennel on its own. This salad was truly delicious and took me 5 minutes to make, the herby smoked venison is uber rich and you get the sweetness from the tomatoes, fresh pepper notes from the salad with all of these flavours being uplifted by the citrusy aniseed fennel which also acts as the dressing too. I’m going to try this with smoked salmon next, yum!
- smoked venison or salmon
- 1/2 bag of salad leaves (spinach, watercress and rocket)
- 5 cherry tomatoes halved (need to be a sweet variety)
- 2 forkfuls of pickled fennel (recipe here)
- Layer the salad leaves and tomatoes.
- Place the pickled fennel on top and finish the salad with the smoked venison or salmon.
- Find a nice chair or spot in the garden and enjoy!