I love venison and I love black pudding so this burger was born. As venison is so lean it needs some kind of fat added to it so I used the spiced black pudding. Juniper is a match made in heaven for venison it reminds me of a fragrant pepper. I also added extra pepper as venison takes it so well. To finish it off I added some tangy cheese and crunchy gherkins.
Ingredients ( makes 4 burgers, I froze 2 )
- 500g venison mince
- 1/2 ring black pudding, outer case removed
- 12 juniper berries, crushed
- 4 tbsp panko breadcrumbs
- 2 tsp fresh black pepper
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp garlic granules
- 1/2 tsp onion salt
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 tbsp oil for frying
- 6 gherkins , I used my pickled courgettes
- 25g cheddar cheese, sliced
- Preheat Grill to high
- In a bowl add the venison mince. Break it up with your hands or a fork. Crumb in the black pudding not too finely as it adds texture.
- Tip in the rest of the ingredients and knead so everything is evenly distributed.
- Tip out onto a chopping board. Flatten the mix so it is all the same thickness. Cut into quarters and make a Pattie shape with each quarter so you have 4 burgers.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan until hot. Add the burgers and fry for 4 minutes. Flip the burgers over and cook for another 3 minutes.
- Add 3 slices of the gherkins to each burger. Top with cheese and place under the grill until the cheese has melted. I served mine with my celeriac remoulade. Enjoy 😊