I get cabbage in my weekly veg box and I fancied doing something different with it this week. I have roasted cauliflower steaks before so I thought I’d give cabbage a go for a vegetarian meal it was delicious, everything went so well together and the layers of flavours were delicious. I hate waste so I sliced the outer leaves like crispy seaweed and chucked them in the air fryer the texture worked so well with purée.
For the cabbage
- 1 Savoy Cabbage
- 3 tbsp white miso
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp hot water
- Oil for frying
- 2 tbsp sesame seeds, separated to 1 tbsp per plate
- 6 Jerusalem artichoke
- 100ml milk
- Juice of half lemon
- Knob of butter
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4 tbsp tahini
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and minced
- 2 tbsp dill and parsley, leaves only
- 2 tbsp oil, I used rapeseed
- Juice 1/2 lemon
- 1 tbsp water
- pinch of salt
- 4 outer leaves of cabbage, finely sliced
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp rapeseed oil
For the Cabbage
- Take the outer leaves off the cabbage so you have a nice round ball. Set aside.
- Pre heat oven 200 degrees fan. In the meantime cut the cabbage into quarters leaving the core in so the wedges don’t fall apart.
- Heat a tbsp of oil in a frying pan until hot, add the cabbage wedges on cut side down and fry for a couple of minutes until they a brown and crispy. Flip to the other cut side doing the same thing.
- Line a baking dish with grease proof paper add the browned cabbage wedges with one of the browned sides facing up. Mix the miso, maple syrup and hot water in a small bowl and give it a good stir so the miso dissolves. Brush over the cabbage wedges, cover with foil and bake for 1 hour.
For the Jerusalem Artichoke Puree
- Peel the artichoke and put in a pan bring to the boil then simmer for 30 minutes until tender.
- Drain and put the artichokes in a food processor blitz adding milk in a steady flow until smooth
- Add the lemon juice and butter (butter will melt as the artichokes will be warm)
- Season to taste
For the Dressing
- Place all the ingredients into a food processor and blitz until smooth. If you want a smoother and wetter consistency just add a splash more water. Set aside.
For the Crispy Cabbage Sprinkles
- Take the outer cabbage leaves you set aside earlier. Roll them up and finely slice.
- Put them in a bowl and add the soya sauce, rapeseed, and sesame oil. Give them a good massage with your hands this will make them more crispy. I put mine in the air fryer at 200 degrees for 6 minutes but you can just spread them on a tray and pop them in the oven with the cabbage wedges for the same time but I would have a peek after 4 minutes.
Add a circle of the Puree on a plate top with the cabbage wedge, drizzle over the dressing and finish with a sprinkle of the crispy cabbage pieces. Enjoy 😊