This salad is so summery and seasonal. I normally fry the halloumi in a frying pan but for my photos I thought I would griddle it instead. As soon as I did I realised I would never pan fry it ever again. As the halloumi is slightly raised when cooking it completely removes the ‘squeak’ and floppiness. The ingredients are so fresh that this salad doesn’t need a strong dressing just a drizzle of olive oil and a squeeze of lemon is more than enough. If I closed my eyes I can transport myself back to the Mediterranean.
Ingredients (serves 2)
- 1 pack of halloumi, drained and sliced into 1cm slices
- 1 bag of watercress
- 1 avocado, peeled, stone removed and sliced
- 2 asparagus stalks, shaved with a peeler
- 8 slices of fridge dill pickles (recipe here)
- 3 tsp olive oil, separated to 1 tsp at a time
- 1 tsp fresh lemon juice, separated to 1/2 tsp
- Brush a griddle pan with a tsp of olive oil. Heat over a medium to high heat until hot. Add the halloumi slices and cook for 3 minutes on each side and set aside.
- Assemble the salad by separating the watercress between 2 bowls. Sprinkle over the avocado slices and shaved asparagus.
- Drizzle over a tsp of olive oil over each bowl and a squeeze of lemon juice.
- Scatter over the dill pickles and tear the halloumi around the plate. Enjoy 😊