Being british I love a good ploughman’s with a dollop of piccalilli or pickle. To cut down the calories I thought I would try it as a salad oh my word it is delicious I love the added crunch from the lettuce and cucumbers and the sweetness from the peas. The cheese added a welcome creaminess the ham added saltiness and to top it all off you have crunchy croutons and a delicious sweet and sour dressing. I think this would be a crowd pleaser as it’s familiar flavours but lighter and a bit different.
For the salad
- 1/2 cos lettuce, chopped
- 2 baby cucumbers, halved and the sliced chunky
- 1 cup of thawed frozen peas
- 6 triangles of cheese, I used manchengo
- 2 slices of medium cut ham, torn
- 2 boiled eggs, (I cook mine for 8 mins)
For the dressing
- 1 heaped tbsp of piccalilli or burger relish
- 1 tbsp of oil, I used rapeseed
- 1 tsp of honey mustard
- 1 tsp of gherkin juice
- Pinch of dried dill
- Salt and pepper taste
For the croutons
- 1 slice of stale bread
- Pinch of garlic powder, salt and pepper
- 2 tbsp of oil, I used rapeseed
- Prepare all the salad ingredients and share between 2 serving plates.
- Make the dressing by adding all the ingredients to a dish and stir well to combine
- I make my croutons in my air fryer but frying or oven baking (200 fan) will work well to tear the bread into pieces in a bowl add the garlic powder and seasoning. Pour in the oil and give it a good mix with your hands so the oil covers all the bread pieces. If frying add the oil to a frying pan and cook turning until golden.
- Serve the croutons and dressing on the side. Enjoy 😊