So the Autumn is upon us and that means game season is here. I always think partridge are a little small as a main meal so I decided to use it in a salad instead. I have seen partridge and pear together before on restaurant menu’s but thought why stop at 2 p’s so I also chose pomegranate and pecans. All the flavours work so well together. You get crunch from the pecans, sweetness from the pears and burst of freshness from the pomegranate seeds. The dressing brings it all together so nicely so each mouthful is delicious.
Ingredients (serves 2)
For the partridge
- 1 oven ready partridge
- sprig of thyme
- bay leaf
- 1 garlic clove, smashed
- 1 pear, cored and cut into eighths
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp pomegranate molasses
- olive oil
- sea salt and cracked black pepper
For the salad
- handful pf pecans, toasted in a dry pan
- small bag of rocket leaves
- seeds from a pomegranate
For the dressing
- 2 tbsp walnut or olive oil
- 1 tbsp pomegranate molasses
- 1/2 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp of runny honey
- Pre heat oven to 200 degrees Celsius (fan).
- Prepare the partridge by adding the bay leaf, thyme and garlic clove to the cavity. Drizzle the bird with some olive oil and season. Rub all over so the oil coats the bird. Put into an oven tray. For the pears add the slices to a bowl, add the cumin, pomegranate molasses and seasoning mix to coat. Place the pears around the partridge and bake for 40 minutes. Once cooked leave to rest while you assemble the rest of the salad.
- Make the dressing by adding all of the ingredients into a jar or bowl, shake or whisk to combine.
- Assemble the salad by adding the rocket leaves between 2 servings bowls.
- Slice the breast and leg off the bone of the partridge. Place on top of the rocket leaves along with the pears.
- Add the toasted pecans and a sprinkling of pomegranate seeds. Finish off by drizzling over the dressing and roast pan juices. Enjoy.