So a while back I made my own southern spice blend and it has been sat in the cupboard. Whilst looking through salad ideas I came across baked parmesan chicken and thought the 2 together would go really well together, and they did! This salad was really tasty, filling and full of flavour. I was in the supermarket and wanted to get something different from quinoa and thought I would go for red rice until I saw the price tag! So I opted for this mixture at over half the price, the bulgur, millet and rice really have a great texture together and went so well with the rest of the salad. The light dressing really finished it off nicely.
Ingredients (serves 2)
For the chicken
- 1 large skinless chicken breast (or 2 small)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp southern spice (recipe here)
- 60g parmesan, grated
For the salad
- 75g of bulgur, millet and rice mixture, cooked to packet instructions
- 1 courgette, sliced and grilled for 4 mins on each side
- 6 cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 1 baby gem lettuce, chopped
For the dressing
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- pinch of sea salt
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees.
- Slice the chicken and place in a bowl add the olive oil and mix to coat. In a separate bowl or plate add the rest of the ingredients and mix to combine. Place the oiled chicken slices into the parmesan and spice mixture. Toss to coat.
- Place the chicken on an oven dish lined with grease proof paper. Cook in the oven for 15-20 minutes or until juices run clear. Leave to rest.
- Make the dressing by adding all of the ingredients to a jar or bowl, shake or whisk to combine. Set aside.
- To assemble the salad, add the cooked bulgur wheat, grilled courgettes, tomato’s and little gem lettuce to a serving bowl. Top with the rested chicken and drizzle over the dressing. Enjoy.