I love scallops and tend to order them if they are on the menu when we eat out. My only complaint when I eat them in a restaurant is the take off the orange roe or foot, I really enjoy this part. As this was a treat for us I wanted to keep it simple so the scallops stand out. The other thing bang in season is asparagus spears and again we simply roasted them to maximise their flavour.
Ingredients (serves 2 as a main)
For the Asparagus
- bunch of asparagus spears
- fresh black pepper and sea salt
- drizzle of olive oil
For the scallops
- 10 scallops with roe
- 75g pack of bacon or pancetta lardons
- Juice of a lemon
- 50ml of white wine
- 25g butter
- crack of pepper
- Pre heat oven to 200 degrees (fan). Place the asparagus in a baking tray, season and add a drizzle o olive oil. Bake for 15 minutes while you cook the scallops.
- Heat a frying pan over a medium heat, add the pancetta or bacon and cook for a few minutes until cooked through and set aside of kitchen roll.
- Leave the bacon fat in the pan and add half the butter.
- Heat the oils until very hot, add the scallops. Sear on high heat, about 2- 3 minutes on each side. Remove from the pan.
- Add the lemon juice and white wine . Scrape the bottom of the pan.
- ,Add the rest of the butter to the lemon sauce, and stir, to create a shiny sauce. Take off the heat. Add the chopped bacon and scallops. Serve with the roasted asparagus.