Got a chunk of leftover beef from today’s roast? Look no further on how to bring it back to life and make a delicious salad. Meat it so expensive these days so I hate wasting any of it. I found a similar marinade to this one for a steak and thought it would work so well with leftover beef and will moisten it up too. It worked a treat and the flavours were delicious. It went so well with the fresh noodle salad. Bali is very special to me and Paulie (we even got married there) and I am so addicted to kecap manis it is sweet, salty and sour and works so well as a dressing for all those lovely noodles and vegetables. Leftover chicken would work really well too.
Ingredients (serves 2)
For the beef
- leftover beef, finely sliced into strips
- 1 tbsp tamarind paste
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp honey
- juice of 1 lime
- 1 tsp sriracha sauce
For the noodle salad
- 1 nest of rice vermicelli noodles, cooked to packet instructions
- 1 large carrot, grated
- 4 radish, finely sliced
- 100g beansprouts
- 2 tbsp fresh mint, roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp fresh coriander, roughly torn or chopped
- 3 tbsp roasted peanuts
- 1 tbsp each of kecap manis, oyster sauce, rice wine vinegar, hoisin sauce
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- juice of 1 lime
- Try to marinate your beef overnight if you can. Add all of the ingredients into a bowl and massage the beef so it is fully coated. Put in the fridge and stir a couple more times if you can.
- To make the salad, add the cooked noodles, carrot, radish, beansprouts and peanuts to a bowl. When preparing the mint and coriander leaves if there are some small leaves put them in the salad whole and chop the rest, add to the salad and toss well to combine.
- Make the salad dressing by adding the rest of the salad ingredients to a bowl or jar, whisk or shake well to combine. Pour all of the dressing over the salad and toss again so everything gets coated. If you can leave in the fridge overnight, it will still taste amazing if you can’t so don’t worry.
- To assemle the salad, share the noodle mixture between 2 bowl’s or lunchboxes, top with the marinated beef. Enjoy.