Got some left over beef or chicken from the weekend? This salad is simple but really tasty. All the flavours work well together, tasty beef, earthy lentils, fiery watercress all brought together from a sharp slightly sweet dressing. This is really easy to put together once you have cooked the lentils. Delicious!
Ingredients (serves 2)
For the salad
- bunch of watercress (I like to discard the really thick stems)
- left over beef or chicken, chopped into chunks
- 80g puy lentils
- sprig of thyme
For the dressing
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 small garlic clove minced
- 2 tsp fresh thyme, leaves only
- pinch of sea salt
- To make the lentils, rinse the lentils under cold water. Place in a saucepan and cover with 3 times the volume of water. Place over a medium heat bring to boil, reduce to a simmer add in the thyme sprig and simmer for 20 -25 minutes.
- While the lentils are cooking make the dressing by adding all the ingredients to a jar or bowl, shake or whisk well to combine and set aside.
- Once the lentils are cooked drain and rinse.
- To assemble the salad. Add the watercress leaves between 2 serving plates. Add the lentils and lightly toss to combine. Top with the cooked beef or chicken chunks and finish with the dressing. Enjoy.