So for meatless Monday this week we have stuffed peppers. I have been wanting to try these for a while but I was a little worried that the peppers might repeat on me but they didn’t. I really enjoyed this dish and would definitely make it again. The pepper is sweet and soft without being mushy, the halloumi adds texture and the exposed pieces get a lovely caramelisation. The couscous adds depth along with the olives and the sundried tomatoes and herbs rounds it all off nicely. I was surprised how filling this dish was one pepper each was definitely enough and it tasted great served warm.
- 2 large red peppers
- 80g couscous
- 120ml vegetable stock (I used 1/4 of a stock cube)
- 6 olives, sliced
- 4 large sun dried tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 1/2 pack halloumi, cubed
- 10 basil leaves, roughly chopped or torn
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 preserved lemon (optional), roughly chopped (recipe here)
- Heat oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6. Pop the peppers on a plate and microwave on Medium for 5 mins, until almost soft. Place on a baking tray, cut-side up.
- Meanwhile, place the couscous in a bowl and cover with 125ml of vegetable stock. Stir, cover the bowl and leave to stand for 10 mins. Stir the couscous with a fork to break it up, then mix in the rest of the ingredients. Pile the couscous stuffing into the pepper halves and bake for 10-15 mins.
One Comment Add yours