This recipe is mind blowing, the pork was amazing and the crackling so crispy and tasty. I love fennel seeds and they go so well with pork. As this was a special dinner I wanted a nice sauce to go with so settled on bbq rhubarb. I must say though the shallot gravy underneath the pork is more than enough.
For the pork
- 5 shallots, peeled and roughly chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and lightly crushed
- 1kg piece of pork belly
- 1 small glass sherry
- 300ml chicken stock
- 2 tbsp fennel seeds
- 2 tsp sea salt
For the BBQ Sauce
- 1 cup chopped rhubarb
- 2/3 cup water
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 shallot, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 cup tomato ketchup
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 tbsp cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp smoked sweet paprika
- 1/2 tbsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tbsp soya sauce
For the pork
- Pre heat oven to 220 degrees fan.
- Score the skin on the pork making sure you don’t go to far down.
- Rub the salt and fennel seeds into the scored skin
- Place the shallots, garlic cloves, sherry and stock into an oven proof dish. Place the pork on top and bake in the oven for 30 minutes.
- Turn the oven down to 120 degrees fan and cook for 5 hours.
- Let the pork rest for 30 minutes. Tip the caramelised shallots and juices into a pan and warm through when your ready to serve. Enjoy 😊
For the BBQ sauce
- Place the chopped rhubarb and the water into a pan bring to the boil and reduce to a simmer cook for 10 minutes.
- Tip the cooked rhubarb into a food processor along with the shallot and garlic, give it a blitz.
- Add the rest of the ingredients to blender and blitz until smooth. Enjoy 😊