Ingredients (serves 2)
For the salad
- 1 tub of prawns (atlantic or greenland), peeled and washed
- 14-16 slices of chorizo
- 1 avocado, de stoned, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1 small bag of watercress
For the eggless mayo
- 60ml aquafaba (I used chickpea juice from the can)
- 1 tsp white wine vinegar
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp golden caster sugar
- 1 tbsp sriracha chilli sauce
- juice of 2 limes
- 100ml olive oil
- 100ml groundnut oil (or any flavourless oil)
- sprinkle of cayenne pepper
For the crispy capers
- 4 caper berries, halved
- 1 heaped tbsp of capers, drained
- 4 tbsp groundnut oil, for frying
- Start by making the mayo. Add all of the ingredients except the oils into a food processor or hand blender pot. Give it blitz and have a quick taste to check seasoning. Mix the 2 oils into a jug. With the blade running add all of the oil in a slow stream, blitzing all the time, it should take about 5 minutes for the mayo to thicken, once made cover and place in fridge.
- Next cook the chorizo and capers, heat a small frying pan over a medium heat. Add the chorizo and cook for a minute on each side until they just start to release their oils. Drain on kitchen paper and set aside. For the capers add the groundnut oil to a small saucepan until smoking. Tilt the pan on the flame so it makes the oil deeper. Add the caper berries (careful as they may spit) Cook for 2-3 mins until they stop bubbling and they turn golden and crispy. Drain on kitchen paper and set aside. Next fry the capers in the same way but only for about a minute until the open to look like flowers.
- Assemble the salad, share the watercress between 2 serving dishes, add the avocado, peeled prawns and chorizo. Sprinkle over the crispy capers and serve the mayo alongside. Enjoy.