Before the squash season ends try this delicious stuffed squash recipe. It doesn’t even feel like your eating healthy. It really does taste delicious and feels like your eating carbs but your not! The sausage filling is delicious and the cheesy topping finishes it off nicely.
Ingredients (serves 2)
- 1 medium squash, halved and seeds removed
- 3 sausages, sliced (I used chorizo flavour)
- 1 shallot, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
- 3 mushrooms, chopped
- 1/2 tsp chilli flakes
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp mixed herbs
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes
- olive oil
- grated parmesan
- Pre heat oven to 200 degrees (fan).
- Place the prepared squash halves on a baking tray, drizzle with olive oil and season, rub so all the flesh is coated. Bake in the oven for 40 minutes.
- While the squash is baking make the filling. Heat a drizzle of oil in a saucepan add the sausage and brown all over for about 5 minutes. Set aside leaving the fat from the sausage in the pan.
- Put the saucepan back on the heat. Add the shallot and cook for a few minutes. Add the garlic mushrooms, chili and herbs. Cook for a further minute until the garlic becomes fragrant. Tip in the sausages and add in the tinned tomatoes. Bring to the boil and then simmer for a couple of minutes. season to taste.
- Once the squash has cooked, use a fork to scrape the flesh so its like spaghetti.
- Share the filling between the 2 squashes and grate over some parmesan cheese. Place back in the oven and bake for another 20 minutes or until brown on top and heated all the way through. Enjoy.