So as the lovely summer tomatoes come to an end I wanted to make something different with them. I saw the idea for a bloody mary dressing in a waitrose magazine earlier in the year and I thought it would work perfectly in a southern style salad and it did. The dressing is sharp, sweet and tangy and works so well with the spiced chicken, earthy beans and sweet corn. I took mine to work so I had a cheeky little taste of vodka in the office.
Ingredients (serves 2)
For the salad
- 1 large chicken breast
- 2 tsp southern spice (recipe here)
- tin of black eyed beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 handfuls of frozen sweetcorn, thawed
- small bag of salad leaves
For the bloody mary dressing
- 10-12 cherry tomatoes, halved or quartered
- 1 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tbsp vodka
- 1/2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 1/2 tsp red wine vinegar
- 1/2 tsp ketchup
- 1 tsp worcester sauce
- pinch of celery salt
- Pre heat oven to 200 degrees (fan).
- Coat the chicken with a tsp of southern seasoning on each side and rub all over
- Bake in the oven for 20 minutes and leave to rest under foil
- To make the bloody mary dressing and all of the ingredients to a bowl and stir to combine, add in the tomatoes stir again so they start to release their juices.
- Assemble the salad by adding a handful of salad leaves to 2 serving bowls. Sprinkle over the black eyed beans and sweetcorn. Add the tomatoes along with the dressing. Slice the chicken and place on top. Enjoy.