I love the fresh flavours of asia and have been trying some different combinations by merging different ideas and recipes into one plate of food. This worked so well you get the freshness and garlic heat from the beans, the slightly softened pickle element from the courgette, the sharpness from the grapefruit and the sweetness from the crab. It is all then pulled together by the zesty dressing. This was so yummy and fresh and when I closed my eyes I could easily of been sat in a beach restaurant in Bali. Bliss!
Ingredients (serves 2)
For the pickled courgette
- 1 courgette
- 1 red chilli, deseeded and chopped
- 5 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp golden caster sugar
- pinch of salt
- 1 tbsp boiling water
For the crab
- 1 yellow grapefruit, segmented and then peel the segments so you are just left with flesh
- 1 tin of white lump crabmeat
- juice of 1 lime
- 1 tbsp mint leaves
For the beans
- 1 large garlic clove, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 pack of fine beans (120g), topped and tailed
- small drizzle of oil for sautéing
For the dressing
- 2 tbsp groundnut oil
- 2 tbsp yuzu juice
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp palm sugar
- Start by pickling the courgette as the longer it pickles the better the flavour. Add all of the ingredients except the courgette to a bowl and stir to combine. Using a peeler, peel ribbons from the courgettes and add to the pickling mixture as you go. Once finished give it all a good stir so the courgettes are nicely coated. Cover and place in the fridge.
- For the crab mixture, peel, segment and then skin the grapefruit pieces and place in a bowl. Drain the crab meat and add to the grapefruit. Squeeze over the lime juice and add the mint. Lightly toss to combine. Set aside.
- Add a small drizzle of oil to a frying pan, add the beans and garlic and cook over a small medium heat for a few minutes until garlic is fragrant. Move around the beans so they get evenly coated with the garlic. Remove from heat.
- Add all of the dressing ingredients to a jar or bowl. Shake or whisk well to combine.
- Assemble the salad by adding the pickled courgettes to one side of the serving dish. Add the grapefruit and crab mixture next to the courgettes followed by the beans. Finish by drizzling over the dressing. Enjoy.