This is a perfect mid week or friend gathering dinner as you just put everything into one oven dish and leave it to do its own thing. It smells delicious while it is baking and gets your mouth watering. The rice soaks up all the delicious flavours, spices and chicken juices. The aubergine adds a lovely soft texture and the figs a lovely sweetness. This dinner is such a crowd pleaser and nice and easy.
Ingredients (serves 4)
- 225 grams brown basmati rice
- 1 large onion (roughly chopped)
- 1 aubergine (cut into cubes)
- 3 cloves garlic (crushed)
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 3 teaspoons ground cumin
- 4 teaspoons harissa paste
- 4 skinless and boneless chicken thighs
- 8 dried figs, roughly chopped
- 600ml boiling chicken stock
- seasoning to taste
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (fan)
- Put the rice into a sieve and wash it in running water until the water runs clear. Tip it into an ovenproof dish which will hold the chicken in a single layer. Add everything else, except the oil and toss around to mix, leaving the chicken pieces on top, add a sprinkling of the salt over the thighs.
- Drizzle on the oil. Cook in the oven, uncovered, for 40 minutes. The top should be golden and the chicken cooked through. Seve and Enjoy.