You could use prawns for this recipe but I really like crayfish. This salad was really summery and refreshing with the mint mixed with the avocado and the lightly pickled cucumbers. This was the first time I have tried prickly cucumbers and they were much firmer and less watery than the usual cucumbers. The lime juice on the avocado stops it going brown as well as adding flavour.
Ingredients (serves 2)
- 1 pack of crayfish tails or prawns (120g)
- 2 prickly cucumbers, peeled and thinly sliced
- 3/4 tbsp golden caster sugar
- 2 tbsp white wine vinegar
- pinch of salt
- 1 avocado, peeled, destoned and cut into cubes
- small bunch of mint leaves, roughly chopped
- juice of a lime
- 3 sorrel leaves, stems removed and roughly chopped (optional)
- 1 radicchio, leaves picked to form cups
- Start by pickling the cucumbers. (If you are using normal cucumber you may want to place in a colander with a weight to drain out some of the water). In a bowl add the sugar, vinegar and salt and stir until sugar is dissolved. Add in the thinly sliced cucumber and toss really well so the cucumbers are coated. Set aside for as long as possible but a minimum of 30 minutes.
- Add the avocado, mint and sorrel to a bowl. Squeeze over the lime juice and toss well.
- To assemble the salad, place the radicchio leaves in the bottom of a serving dish so they form cups for the rest of the salad ingredients. Share the crayfish, pickled cucumbers and avocado mixture between the 2 bowls. Enjoy.