I look forward to this time of year as I love wild garlic. So yesterday afternoon was spent foraging for wild garlic, we got 2 bag’s full. I used one bag for the following recipes and the other bag we have frozen down in batches. I got a tip from Michel Roux Jnr this year about picking them now while the leaves are young and the flowers aren’t present. It is definitely better, last year I picked them later and they were really garlicky and quite bitter. This year however we picked them now when the leaves are young and I must say the flavour is much nicer, they taste fresher and much more subtle with no bitterness at all but they still have that delicious garlic flavour.
Wild Garlic, Feta and Sun dried Tomato Muffins
- 375g self raising flour (I use brown)
- 200g wild garlic, roughly chopped
- 200g good quality feta
- 16 sun dried tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 80g butter, melted
- 1 egg
- 330ml milk
- Pre heat oven to 180 degrees (fan). Grease a 12 hole muffin tray.
- Add the flour into a bowl, crumb in the feta and also add in the wild garlic leaves and sun dried tomato. Using your hands lift the flour from the bottom so all the ingredients combine.
- Melt the butter in a small pan, add in the egg and milk and whisk with a fork. Add the wet mixture to the dry ingredients and again fold through with your hands to combine.
- Take a handful of the mixture and place in the muffin tray, bake for 25 minutes.
Wild Garlic Pesto
- 75g wild garlic leave’s
- 75g rocket leave’s
- 50g parmesan cheese
- 50g walnuts
- zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 50ml walnut oil (can use olive)[p-
- 100l olive oil
- good pinch of salt and pepper
- Add the garlic and rocket leaves, parmesan, lemon zest and walnut’s to a food processor and blitz until you have a paste.
- With the food processor on low speed add in the oils slowly Stir in the lemon juice and season to taste.
Wild Garlic Hummus
(Half the recipe if you dont want to freeze some down)
- 100g wild garlic leaves
- 2 tin’s of chickpeas
- 4 tbsp tahini
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- juice of 2 lemon’s
- pinch of salt
- splash of water if needed
- Add the garlic leave’s to a food processor and blitz until finely chopped.
- Add in the chickpea’s, tahini, olive oil and lemon juice. Blitz again until smooth.
- Season with salt and add a splash of water if too dry and blitz again.