I love a stir fry it is perfect for a quick weeknight dinner. I only recently found miso and tofu and really love them both. I have found out in a short space of time that tofu tastes so much better if you marinate it first and what could be better than the lovely sweet, salty slightly sour miso. I really like using british produce where possible and the british chard and mushrooms went perfectly. This was a tasty satisfying dinner.
Ingredients (serves 2)
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp runny honey
- 3 tbsp white miso paste
- 1/2 tsp five spice powder
- 1/2 tsp chilli flakes
For the stir fry
- 200g tofu, cut into medium cubes
- 4 portobello mushrooms, sliced
- 1 bunch swiss shard, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped finely
- thumb piece of ginger, peeled and finely chopped
- 50g organic brown rice udon noddles, cooked to packet instructions (optional)
- oil for frying
Miso stir fry sauce
- 2 tbsp runny honey
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- juice of 1 lime
- 1 tbsp white miso paste
- Add the tofu to a bowl and pour over the 2 tbsp of soy sauce leave while you make the paste. Add the rest of the marinade ingredients in a jar or bowl and shake or whisk to combine. Pour over the tofu and slightly stir with a wooden spoon so the tofu gets coated. Cover and place in the fridge for at least an hour.
- Prepare the stir fry sauce by again adding all of the stir fry sauce ingredients to a jar or bowl, again shake or whisk to combine, set aside.
- Heat a tbsp of oil in a wok over a high heat until smoking, pour in the marinated tofu and stir fry for around 3 minutes until starting to colour, once cooked set aside on plate.
- Heat another drizzle of oil in the wok, add the garlic and ginger and stir fry for about one minute until fragrant, add the chopped mushrooms and cook for a further couple of minutes. Pour in the stir fry sauce, tofu, cooked noodles and chard cover with a lid and simmer for a few minutes until everything heats through and the shard starts to wilt. Serve immediately. Enjoy.