I love cauliflower cheese as it is mid-week I didn’t want a heavy version so we used skimmed milk and a less amount but stronger cheese in the sauce. I love the crunchy topping and the black pudding adds so much flavour with it’s delicious spices. This is a great mid-week bowl of comfort food.
Ingredients (serves 2)
For the cheese sauce
- 50g butter
- 50g plain flour
- 1 pint of skimmed milk
- 50g extra mature cheddar
- pinch of pepper and nutmeg
For the bake
- 1 small head of cauliflower, cut into florets
- 10 slices of black pudding
- cheese sauce
- 2 handfuls of breadcrumbs (I used panko)
- 15-20g finely grated parmesan cheese
- Pre heat oven to 200 degrees (fan)
- For the cheese sauce, add the butter, flour and milk into a saucepan place over a medium heat and keep whisking for 4-6 minutes until it mixes, melts and thickens. Once thickened add in the cheese and stir to melt, set aside.
- Place the cauliflower florets in a pan of boiling water and cook for 5 minutes. Drain and rinse under cold water.
- Place the cauliflower into a baking dish, spread over the black pudding slices. Pour over the cheese sauce (freeze any leftover sauce). Finish off the with the breadcrumbs and grated Parmesan.
- Bake in the oven for around 20 minutes or until golden on top. Serve and enjoy.