This soup is packed full of goodness. Paulie and I are full of cold at the moment and I wanted something over the weekend that would help us fight it off. This has so many Superfoods that are really rich in vitamins. It tasted really yummy too and is really filling. If you want a healthy hearty chunky soup that is really good for you, this is the one. It is also great for freezing.
Ingredients (serves 6)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 medium carrots cut into 1 cm cubes (or your preferred chunk size)
- 1 large red onion, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 head of broccoli, cut into small florets
- 1 head of garlic, cloves peeled
- 1/2 bag chopped kale (250g)
- 2 medium courgettes, cut into 1cm pieces
- 1 can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 700ml chicken or vegetable stock
- few sprigs of thyme, leaves only
- freshly grated parmesan, to serve
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan and slowly fry the carrots, onion and garlic until softened. This will take about 5-8 minutes. Stir in the tomatoes.
- Add the broccoli and the courgettes, three-quarters of the beans, and the boiling stock. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat. Simmer for 30 minutes. Pour in more stock if needed – don’t add too much – it should be thick.
- Add the kale. Blanch briefly so they remain green and crisp. Season when slightly cooled.
- Purée the remaining cannellini beans coarsely in a blender with some of the cooking liquid. Add to the soup to thicken. Stir in the thyme leaves and serve hot with grated Parmesan.