This dish would be just as great using left over chicken or turkey. I love brussel sprouts season and I thought this combination would work really well. Guess what it was! It was creamy, lightly spiced and I love the sweet notes from the apricots. The brussel sprouts and chicken together reminded me of christmas which was a nice little treat in the office.
Ingredients (serves 2)
For the coronation chicken
- 1 chicken breast or a good handful of leftover chicken or turkey
- 4 tbsp natural or greek yoghurt
- 1 1/2 tsp curry powder
- 1 tbsp mango chutney
- juice of half a lemon
- pinch of salt
- 6 dried apricots, roughly chopped
For the salad
- 1/2 bag of rocket leaves
- 15 brussel sprouts
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- pinch of salt
- good drizzle of oil (I used chilli oil)
- sprinkle of toasted flaked almonds
- If you are not using leftover’s and you are cooking your own chicken pre heat oven to 160 degrees celsius (fan). I always brine my chicken by adding 2 tbsp salt to a bowl top with warm water and stir to combine. Place the chicken in the salted water for 15 minutes. Rinse off the brined chicken and place in a baking tray add a crack of pepper and bake for 20-25 minutes until cooked through.
- While the chicken is cooking prepare the brussel sprouts by cutting off the core and remove any dirty outer leaves. Slice them in half then thinly slice so you have a shredded effect.
- Heat the chilli oil in a frying pan over a medium heat. Add the brussel sprouts, sprinkle over the nutmeg and salt and cook for around 2 minutes until they release their aroma set aside to cool while the chicken finishes cooking.
- To make the coronation sauce, add the yoghurt and curry powder to a bowl and stir well to combine. Add in the mango chutney and lemon juice, stir, taste and add salt if required. Fold through the dried apricots and cooked chicken pieces.
- To assemble the salad share the rocket leaves between 2 bowls (or lunchboxes!) toss in the cooled brussel sprouts evenly between the 2 dishes. Top with the coronation chicken and finish with the toasted flaked almonds. Enjoy.