I really enjoy winter salads. I think roasting some of the elements make it more comforting and homely. I love adding lots of herbs and spices to make it more warming for these cold days. This salad was so yummy and extremely balanced the lemon dressing lifts and marries all the ingredients together. This would also make a great light dinner.
Ingredients (serves 2 )
For the salad
- 1 small or 1/2 squash, peeled, deseeded and cut into chunks
- 1 tbsp chilli oil (recipe here)
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 pack of halloumi
- 8 griddled jarred quartered artichoke hearts
- small bag salad leaves
For the dressing
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- juice half lemon
- 1 tsp dried tarragon
- 2 tsp dijon mustard
- pinch of salt and pepper
- Pre heat oven to 170 degrees celsius (fan).
- Place the prepared squash on a baking tray or dish. Add the chilli oil, fennel seeds and 1/2 tsp salt and rub all over so the squash is fully covered. Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes until soft and slightly browned.
- While the squash is roasting fry the halloumi in a small frying pan for around 2 minutes on each side, set aside.
- Make the dressing by adding all the ingredients into a jar or bowl. Give it a good shake or whisk to combine all the flavours.
- To assemble the salad. Share the salad leaves between 2 serving dishes. Add the artichokes, halloumi and roasted squash. Spoon over dressing. Enjoy.