I always think a pork chop makes a great mid-week dinner. As pork is quite a sweet meat it really does go well with earthy lentils and vegetables. This is perfect for this time of year a juicy pork chop nicely browned with pancetta, earthy lentils and vegetables all brought together with a comforting creamy mustard sauce I could eat this once a week as it is so tasty.
Ingredients (serves 2)
- 2 thick pork chops
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- crack of salt and pepper
For the lentil ragout
- 400ml chicken stock
- 200g puy lentils
- drizzle of olive oil
- 1 banana shallot or small onion, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 1 leek, finely chopped
- 70g pack of smoked pancetta or bacon cubes
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1/2 savoy cabbage, thick core removed and shredded
For the mustard and cider sauce
- 100ml chicken stock
- 100ml of cider
- 100ml double cream
- 50ml calvados (optional)
- 2 tbsp wholegrain mustard
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees (fan)
- Start by making the lentil ragout, add the chicken stock and lentils to a pan, bring to the boil then reduce heat and simmer for around 20 minutes or until the stock has been absorbed.
- While the lentils are cooking, heat a drizzle of olive oil to a frying pan. Add the shallot, leek, carrot and pancetta and sauté for 10 minutes until the vegetables have softened and the pancetta’s fat has rendered and is crispy. Add in the garlic and cabbage and cook for a further few minutes until the cabbage has wilted. Stir through the cooked lentils. Set aside and keep warm.
- Heat an ovenproof frying pan. Rub the pork chops with the olive oil and seasoning and then place into the hot pan. Cook for 3-4 minutes until browned, then turn over the chops and cook in the oven for 15 minutes or until the pork is cooked through. Once ready leave to rest under foil while you make the sauce.
- Place all of the sauce ingredients to a saucepan. Bring to the boil then reduce for 5 minutes until it thickens to a sauce consistency.
- To serve, divide the ragout between 2 warm serving dishes, add the chops and finish off with the sauce.