Soup glorious soup. So today it is raining very heavily and I had my flu jab yesterday so I’m feeling a bit achey. To make everything better I made myself a delicious bowl of spicy comforting soup. Parsnips make any soup seem really creamy, silky and smooth. The spices in this are delicious, so warming and comforting. Oddly the flavour reminds me of chip shop curry sauce. So this is a big winner.
- 3 parsnips, washed, peeled (reserve peelings) and chopped
- 2 potatoes, peeled and roughly chopped to same thickness as parsnips
- 1 tbsp ghee
- 1 1/2 tbsp garlic and ginger paste
- 2 tbsp curry powder
- 1 tbsp cumin powder
- 700ml vegetable stock
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1/2 tsp onion salt
- 1/4 tsp fresh black pepper
- 2 pinches garam masala
- Heat the ghee in a large saucepan. Add the garlic and ginger paste and cook for a minute. Next add the curry powder and ground cumin give it a stir to coat the paste and cook for 30 seconds. Add in the potato and parsnip, again give it a good stir. Pour in the stock, the tsp of garam masala, onion salt and pepper. Bring to the boil, reduce to a simmer place a lid on the pan and simmer for 20 minutes.
- For the parsnip crisps. Add the parsnip peelings you reserved to a bowl, add a small splash of oil and season well with salt and pepper. Give them a good massage so they all get coated in the oil and seasoning. I cooked mine in the air fryer on 195 degrees for 6 minutes, you can do the same in the oven.
- To finish off the soup, blitz the soup with a blender until smooth. Give it a taste to check and adjust seasoning. Spoon the soup into serving bowls, sprinkle over a pinch of garam masala and finish with the parsnip crisps.