Yum! This dish has everything, spices, herbs, fruit and a delicious gravy. This is perfect for this time of year and the best part is you can just pop it in the oven and leave it to do it’s thing (maybe a glass of wine while you wait) I forgot how much I love orange with chicken. I usually sway towards duck with orange but the chicken was beautiful. It has a nice Mediterranean vibe with the flavours and I love how the oranges and their skin is edible as it’s so soft. I had mine with couscous and some roasted carrots they all complimented each other perfectly and the couscous went up to another level soaking up that lovely gravy.
Ingredients (serves 2)
- 2 large chicken thighs
- 1 tsp smoked paprika, I like sweet
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 shallot, peeled and sliced
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and sliced
- 1 tbsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 300ml chicken stock
- 2 large orange’s, sliced
- 1 orange, juice only
- 8 olives
- Sprig rosemary
- Sprig thyme
- Pinch red pepper flakes
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees fan.
- Mix the 1 tsp of paprika, oil and salt rub all over the chicken thighs. In an ovenproof lidded pan. Add some oil and heat over a high heat. Add the thighs skin side down and brown for 2-3 minutes flip and do the same. Take the thighs out of the pan and set aside.
- Reduce to a medium heat. Add the shallots and cook for 1 minute. then the garlic and cumin seeds and cook for a further 2 minutes. Sprinkle in the ground cumin and give it a stir so everything is coated.
- Add in the stock and orange juice bring to the boil making sure you scrape any bits off the bottom of the pan. Turn off the heat.
- Add in the herbs, orange slices, olives and pepper flakes. Nestle the chicken back in the pan making sure the skin isn’t covered by liquid.
- Place the lid on the pan and put in the oven for 40 minutes. Once finished serve and enjoy. 😋
3 Comments Add yours
Loving your decision to put orange and olives with chicken, and trying to imagine how great that tastes! I also like the way you have roasted the carrots whole as an accompaniment – they look amazing!
Hi Kevin, thank you so much 😊 The flavours are wicked if you give it a go let me know what you think
LikeLiked by 1 person