I think you either love or hate imitation noodles or pasta. I personally love them and don’t miss the carb side at all. I don’t substitute them all the time but when it’s a skinny day I’m quite happy too. I have also got into dairy free products recently, Paul my husband has asthma and gets catarrh if he eats to much dairy so we switched over to plant based and in all honestly I prefer it in sauces and savoury dishes it is much lighter and slightly sweeter and doesn’t make you feel heavy. On a dessert I’m not sure though, being from Devon I think my family might disown me if I served them plant based cream on a dessert.
Ingredients (serves 2 )
For the Spaghetti Squash Pasta
- 1 medium spaghetti squash
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp fresh cracked black pepper
- 1 tsp sea salt
For the Pasta
- 80g smoked pancetta or bacon lardons
- 1 banana shallot, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 medium garlic clove, peeled and finely grated
- 150ml stock, I used a 1/4 cube of chicken mixed in hot water
- 1 large fresh vine tomato, peeled, de seeded and roughly chopped
- 4 sun dried tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 30g of fresh or frozen peas, I used frozen (and measured by just grabbing a handful)
- 2 tbsp lemon juice mixed with. 1 tsp of dried mixed herbs
- 50ml single cream, I used plant based
- Parmesan shavings
- 1 tbsp fresh flat leaf parsley, chopped
- Squash seeds, dry fried for 2 mins, optional
- Fresh cracked black pepper
For the Squash Spaghetti
- Pre heat oven to 180 degrees fan. Prepare the squash by cutting it across through the middle rather than lengthways down the middle through the stem. By doing this you will get longer spaghetti strands.
- Scoop out the seeds and dark orange bits. If using set aside some of the seeds to toast later.
- Line a baking tray with paper. Add 1 tbsp of olive oil and 1/2 tsp of salt and pepper to each half in the cut side up. Give it a good rub all over.
- Turn the squash halves so they are facing down on the baking sheet and bake for 30 minutes.
- Once baked turn them over so cut side is facing up and leave to cool for about 10 minutes.
- Once cooled, grab a fork starting at the top pull your fork around the rim in a full circle so you create your spaghetti, they should be nice and long. Repeat with the rest and set aside.
For the Pasta
- Heat a small amount of oil in a pan. Add the pancetta, shallots and garlic and cook over a medium heat for a few mins the fat from the pancetta should stop the garlic and shallots catching.
- Add in the stock and simmer for a couple of minutes giving it all a good scrape to deglaze the pan.
- Add in the tomatoes (dried and fresh) and peas again stir to combine and simmer for about another 2 minutes.
- Add the squash spaghetti, lemon juice and mixed herbs heat again for a minute so the lemon juice warms through. Add in the cream and give it a good stir it shouldn’t split as you have already warmed and mixed the lemon juice in with everything else.
- Dish out the pasta between 2 serving bowls. Add the chopped parsley, Parmesan shavings and toasted squash seeds (if using). Finish off with a good crack of black pepper. Enjoy 😋