So we had roast chicken last night and there was quite a lot of meat left I filled up poppy the puppy’s bowl and still had quite a bit so decided to make a chicken salad. I didn’t have any Parmesan so I used cheddar cheese instead. I always use the the Carcass as a base for a stock so a chicken goes far in this household. I love the crisp lettuce, soft meat and the tangy dressing. For the breadcrumbs I always blitz any stale bread and keep them in the freezer so they can be used for anything.
Ingredients Serves 2
- Leftover chicken about a cup
- Crispy lettuce, I used romaine
- Halve a dozen of baby vine tomatoes, halved
- Cheddar cheese shaving, using a peeler
- Croutons or breadcrumbs, toasted
For the dressing
- 1 tbsp light mayo
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 2 anchovies, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Juice of half a lemon
- 1 tbsp finely grated cheese
- Pinch of sea salt
- Make the dressing by adding all the ingredients into an small processor and blitz until smooth, set aside.
- Assemble the salad by chopping the lettuce and serving between 2 serving dishes making sure they both get some of the crunchy bits. Add the tomatoes and spoon over blobs of the dressing.
- Tear over the chicken pieces and shave over the cheese slices. Fry the breadcrumbs in a little olive oil and fry until golden. If using ready made croutons sprinkle over. Serve and enjoy 😊